23A your venture's unfair advantage
· Generate a list of all of the resources in your venture (produce a list of at least 10 resources that you already possess). This can include your human capital, social capital, financial capital, and capabilities. You may also discuss the organizational culture you intend to create (but, obviously, it's not a resource that you have, now.)
· Conduct a "VRIN" analysis for each resource. That is, describe, for each resource, how it is valuable, rare, inimitable (how hard it is to copy by others), and non-substitutable (are there other resources that can provide the same benefits?).
· Remember, not ALL resources will measure up well. That's OK. You just need one.
· After conducting the VRIN analysis, determine what your top resource is. Explain why it's more important to your venture than all of the other resources.
1 Fellow college students
VRIN: Many college students share the same struggles and aspirations. They are more willing to take risks compared to older people. The passion they have is non-substitutable and imitable. This also makes it valuable.
2 Going to a University
VRIN: Going to a university is already a niche which means that it is relatively rare and non-substitutable. It is also non-imitable as university students are most of the times a certain age. This makes it valuable
3 My parents
VRIN: My dad is a professor in civil engineering which means that he has knowledge of how to manage and partner with different companies. Both of my parents are also part of the 50s age group which means that they can offer me insights of what the people in that age group might think of my product. Since they are my parents they are inimitable and un-substitutable. This makes them a valuable resource.
4 My Parents friends
VRIN: My parent’s friends come from various backgrounds and careers. This provides insights from multiple perspectives. Also some of them are very well off and influential which makes them un-substitutable and valuable.
5 My fraternity brothers
VRIN: They also come from diverse backgrounds which definitely provides me various perspectives. They are un-substitutable since they are my fraternity brothers and are definitely inimitable which makes them valuable.
6 Technology-driven society
VRIN: My business idea depends on technology and the fact that our society is currently dominated by technology, it makes it a great resource for my venture. The society currently is not inimitable and un-substitutable. This is a huge strength to my business idea.
7 Asian-American background
VRIN: Being Korean-American and being bilingual is a huge asset for me and my business idea. This makes me inimitable since I am familiar with both the Korean culture and the American culture. Also, there are not many Korean-Americans that actually have lived in both countries for a decent amount of time. This makes my strength valuable.
8 Owns a cell phone
VRIN: The fact that my business idea comes from my needs as well, I have a better understanding of what the product might need and what to appeal. This is valuable
9 Studying Business
VRIN: Being a business major really taught
me how to understand how business works and how to incorporate the knowledge I
learned to entrepreneurship. My knowledge is something that is inimitable and
un-substitutable which makes it valuable.
10 Youth
VRIN: I am still relatively young which means
I am more willing to take risks and make radical decisions. Elders with more
responsibilities tend to settle in a safe way but young people tend to take
more chances. This passion is valuable
My top resource is having connections in Korea as well as in America. This way, I can market my product by using different strategies for different cultures.
Hey Jeff,
ReplyDeleteYour post shows the amount of resources you have around you that can definitely help with future projects as well. It's always great to network and have many connections when being an entrepreneur. Good post!
Hey Jeff,
ReplyDeleteI think you pointed out a great resource are your most valuable. A lot of people do not have the opportunity to reach two international markets at the same. I think this benefits you too because you are able to gain insight from Korea and America on how to make your product more obtainable and more attractive to a more general, but broader, opportunity group.
I really liked your number 8 unfair advantage. I think I overthought my list a little. I never considered how simply owning the product that your invention will be shaping is an advantage. I also agree that having connections in two different countries is extremely useful. Especially since it is a product that is useful across borders.
ReplyDelete