Beginning Point
Everyone has a phone and uses it. However, the phone needs to be charged and when it is out of battery it is useless. This is why I think that phones that regenerate batteries within themselves can be useful.
Describe your belief
Technology, especially cell phones, are an immense part of our lives in this generation. A lot of us cannot accomplish our daily tasks without a cellphone. However, these cell phones run out of battery. This means that for some, their daily life activities could be hindered. Also, important business calls and other duties related to their careers can also be hindered. To prevent the phones from running out of battery, people take the lengthy chargers with them or buy an expensive exterior charging case. However, they are either unconventional or costs money. This is why I thought that developing a cell phone that generates its own energy would be revolutionary
Chris Kim, College student
What is the one thing you cannot live without?
My cellphone
My cellphone
How many times a day or hours do you use your cellphone?
About 10,000 times
About 10,000 times
How many times have you experienced your phone die?
about a 1000 times
about a 1000 times
What were some of the annoyances that came with your phone dying?
You can't text, call anyone in an emergency situation
You can't text, call anyone in an emergency situation
How are you currently addressing your phone running out of battery?
I try to limit my use of my phone
I try to limit my use of my phone
How satisfied are you with that solution?
I am very satisfied in the way that I can limit myself being on my phone
I am very satisfied in the way that I can limit myself being on my phone
Would you like a phone that regenerates batteries on their own?
Yes that would be awesome
Yes that would be awesome
John Yoo, college student
What is the one thing you cannot live without?
My cellphone mostly
What is the one thing you cannot live without?
My cellphone mostly
How many times a day(hours a day) do you use your cellphone?
7~8 hours probably
7~8 hours probably
How many times have you experienced your phone die?
about 10 times.
about 10 times.
What were some of the annoyances that came with your phone dying?
Lack of entertainment, lack of communication.
Lack of entertainment, lack of communication.
How are you currently addressing your phone running out of battery?
Charge it regularly, I don't let my phone go lower than 20%.
Charge it regularly, I don't let my phone go lower than 20%.
How satisfied are you with that solution?
I am 90% satisfied with power saving mode.
I am 90% satisfied with power saving mode.
Would you like a phone that regenerates batteries on their own?
Of course, that would be great!
Of course, that would be great!
Justin Han, college student
What is the one thing you cannot live without? Food and my cellphone
What is the one thing you cannot live without? Food and my cellphone
How many times a day(hours a day) do you use your cellphone?
5~6 hours for both
How many times have you experienced your phone die?
About 300 times
5~6 hours for both
How many times have you experienced your phone die?
About 300 times
What were some of the annoyances that came with your phone dying?
I don't wear a watch so I wouldn't know the time. Also, I cannot text my girlfriend.
I don't wear a watch so I wouldn't know the time. Also, I cannot text my girlfriend.
How are you currently addressing your phone running out of battery?
Put it on power saving mode, bring my portable battery
Put it on power saving mode, bring my portable battery
How satisfied are you with that solution?
I don't think that we should still have to charge our phones with our technology. I shouldn't have to charge my phone
I don't think that we should still have to charge our phones with our technology. I shouldn't have to charge my phone
Would you like a phone that regenerates batteries on their own?
Of Course!
Reflection
The biggest thing that caught me off-guard was that they answered that they were satisfied that their phone has to be charged. It wasn't only after the fact that I told them if there was a way that phones didn't have to be charged that they realized the annoyance of having to charge a phone.
Summary
Of Course!
Reflection
The biggest thing that caught me off-guard was that they answered that they were satisfied that their phone has to be charged. It wasn't only after the fact that I told them if there was a way that phones didn't have to be charged that they realized the annoyance of having to charge a phone.
Summary
How much of your original opportunity is still there?
The opportunity is still there. Phones still run out of battery and need a charger to charge it.
Do you believe that your new opportunity is more accurate than when you started?
It is not as accurate as when I started because I became more aware of the technology that is needed in building a phone that recharges.
How much do you think entrepreneurs should 'adapt' their opportunities based on customer feedback? (In other words, is there a trade-off between adapting and staying firm?
I think it should be a balanced mix between customer feedback and their aspirations. There is a trade-off for leaning on either side.
Hey Jeff,
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a great idea. In today’s world, cell phones are a crucial part of conducting business, so they are used a lot more frequently than when they were first being made. If a cell phone could charge itself, that would take away the hassle of trying to find a charger or an outlet. I’m not sure how you would achieve this, but it would be a tremendous breakthrough in the world of cell phones.
Jeff,
ReplyDeleteThis is such an issue for me. I actually mentioned in my bug list that my phone battery is so unreliable. In these days, Our cellphones are basically everything. Being on the move constantly, I am unable to recharge my phone multiple times a day. A phone that regenerates battery within itself would be an amazing invention and I would definitely be in line to purchase the first one whenever that comes out.
Hey Jeff,
ReplyDeleteI think you have a great idea on your hands. If you are a college student, you probably have a phone and use that phone very regularly. It would be great to have a way to self-sustained our phones, but it seems a little too good to be true. For that reason, I can see how the opportunity of your idea is high, but I would say that may have to do with the fact that nothing like that exists and I would venture to say that technology is not there yet, more of a reason to tackle the problem. Again, awesome idea and need.